Wyncote Sports Pavilion

This sports pavilion, set in the Geoffrey Hughes Memorial Ground of Liverpool University, is one of a number of modernist buildings in the city designed by Beech, who was a lecturer at Liverpool School of Architecture. A winner of a Civic Trust Award in 1963, the pavilion and its surrounding structures are made primarily of reinforced concrete with some brick cross walls. The strong horizontal emphasis of the grandstand as it extends into the landscape formally counterbalance with the elevated clubhouse. The slightly cantilevered floorplates, large glazed curtain walls and oversailing roof are expressly modernist motifs that give the buildings a certain timelessness from this historical distance. The composition of the group helps to break up and order the playing fields themselves and though simple and orthogonal, the scheme manages the space with sophistication. It was praised by the Architects' Journal as 'a building on which rather more than the usual amount of thought and imagination has been spent'.
- OS grid ref
- SJ395873
- Easting
- 339584
- Northing
- 387334
- Postcode
- L18 6HF
Wyncote Sports Pavilion gallery

Oblique view of south-east elevation.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

South-west facade to cinder track.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

View from east.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

North-east elevation.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

South-east elevation from playing fields.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

Close up view of south-east facade.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

Collonade beneath grandstand.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

View from west.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

South-east elevation from top of grandstand.
Source: Author's photograph. December 2001

Plans
Source: Architects' Journal, 13 March 1963

Top floor balcony.
Source: Architects' Journal, 13 March 1963

First floor bar.
Source: Architects' Journal, 13 March 1963

View from football pitch.
Source: Architects' Journal, 13 March 1963

View from access road.
Source: Architects' Journal, 13 March 1963

Athletes' view of the pavilion.
Source: Architects' Journal, 13 March 1963
References
-
Architect and Building News
pp.787-792
-
Architects Journal
pp.577-582
-
Builder
pp.1171-1175